Choosing And Buying Fashionable Clothes

It is a well-known fact that we wear 30% of our wardrobe 70% of the time. Clothes that are comfortable and fit well, suit our complexions and ‘go’ with almost everything else in our wardrobe are most likely to fit into this category. On the other hand, the other 70% of the clothing we own and wear only 30% of the time usually remains on hangers in our closets simply because they are NOT comfortable, DO NOT fit well or suit our skin tone, and DON’T go with very much else at all. Also among these garments will be trendy items that have gone out of fashion and can no longer be worn because they make us look horribly dated. Even if we exclude evening wear which, by its very nature doesn’t get worn often, we are still left with a lot of unworn clothes percentage-wise. Thus you may have a closet that appears full but actually does not hold very many appealing garments at all.

To avoid feeling like you have nothing to wear despite your full closet, you need to nip the problem in the bud from the start, at the time when you are choosing and buying clothes. The ultimate aim is to reverse the percentages so that you wear 70% of your clothes 70% of the time. The remaining 30% should constitute garments that are normally worn less frequently like evening wear and heavy winter coats. Once you have purchased a garment and cannot return it, you no longer have the power to change the percentages so you need to make the right clothing choices before you actually hand over any cash.

And how do make the right choices before purchasing? Well, for starters you must try on each and every garment you are thinking of buying. Move your body around to check that the garment feels comfortable and sits well. The fabric shouldn’t pull, bunch or ride up. The colour should not make you look pale or ill but fresh and healthy instead. It may seem like an onerous task but it will help you weed out the duds immediately. If a garment doesn’t look good in the harsh light of the changing room in front of an unforgiving mirror then it never will. Do not make the make the mistake of buying it in the hope that it will look better at home because it won’t.

Secondly, ensure that most of your clothing purchases are basics in neutral colours that will harmonise with your existing wardrobe. Of course, you will need to have a few trendy pieces in your closet but you shouldn’t spend very much on these items as they will most likely go out of style relatively quickly. Remember that a trendy piece does not have to be a garment, it can be an accessory like a belt, scarf or costume jewellery. In fact, buying trendy accessories is a great way to liven up a wardrobe of basics and to give outfits a contemporary feel.

Leave a Reply